Saturday, January 28, 2012

Breaking up is hard to do...or is it?



I've been ditching books right and left and I blame one thing...my ever growing TBR (to be read) list.

Back in the glory day's, when we had actual bookstores, I would visit my local Borders every single week. I would browse the shelves while sipping my delectable white chocolate mocha and submerge myself in the beauty of the magnificent books. I would pick one and buy it. Then the almighty Amazon brought forth their wrath and  I lost my most cherished past time.

Now am forced to trek half way across the county to my inconveniently located Barnes & Noble. In efforts to avoid having to make the trip again I buy several books and add them to my shelf.  At the same time  I am getting ARC's from Netgalley for review.

 I now have dozens of books screaming at me to be read and some are ending up not being really great. If I'm not emotionally involved with the story or character's I'm ditching them and moving on. I am now seeing some the books I ditched getting positive reviews and I wonder if I'm not giving them a fair chance.  Should I have stuck it out?

 I have been giving up so easy because I have many books giving me the beady eye every time I walk by and ignore them. I mean look at a few of the books I have waiting for me. I bought Clockwork Prince the day it came out and there it sits.  Why would I want to waste my time on a so-so book when I have such super swoon-worthy boys beckoning to me in the night. Yes Will Herondale I'm talking to you. (Stand back ladies he's mine)

In efforts to bring back the joy and fun in reading I am going to temporarily stop buying new books until I read what I have. It will be hard, going to the book store is my version of a crack den. Just thinking about it sends me into withdrawals.

I'm interested if anyone else has faced this dilemma. What does it take for you to break up with a book and move on?

2 comments:

  1. I'm right there with you. Ever since Borders went out, my city doesn't have any new book stores and I have to drive an hour away just to go to one, so I tend to buy lots of books while I'm there. Well, that is if B&N actually had a good selection of books.

    For me, I always put the books I want to read ahead of everything else. I will drop whatever I'm reading to read the new fantastic book that just came out, then I'll go back to reading my first book.

    But in order for me to give up on a book, I have to read part of it, and if I don't pick it back up in a few days or thinking about reading it makes me say "eh" I will give up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good idea. I am reading Clockwork Prince right now. I am also going to stop requesting from Netgalley as well. For now anyway.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Artist's Faeries kit by Lorie Davison