Sunday, September 16, 2012

Writing Tip of the Week...Concrete or Cement?

As a writer, I know the importance of research and how important it is to be accurate. Being that I am such a helpful person I thought I would bring some clarification to something I read all the time.

How many times have you read in a book, for example, "She blah blah blah and hit her head on the cement." or "I dropped it on the cement floor." Get the idea? Well, the correct thing to say would be concrete.

To clarify, concrete and cement are not the same thing. Cement is a powder and an ingredient in concrete. You could say it is like adding flour to cookies.

Is this inaccuracy ever going to make or break a deal? No, but I see it all the time. It is a common misconception that many highly trained, top notch editors even miss.


**disclaimer**

This post is based on my own experience with the books I have read. I am not saying all editors miss this. But in my personal library the wrong term is used probably 80% of the time.





3 comments:

  1. Where does pavement fit in Kriston? ^_^ HeHe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great observation! It looks like you are a avid thinker. Yes, we all think, but people like you are capable to see beyond a current situation and dive into the myriad of outcomes in seconds. You are probably an excellent strategist as well. I had the same question so I went on the Seament Holding you tube page to see if this company had a informative video on the process of cement. Check it out if you're ever interested in the process.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the link Giana. The term stands out to me because I actually sell concrete for my day job.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Artist's Faeries kit by Lorie Davison