Saturday, June 21, 2014

Recently Read...Sleep No More and The Taking

First up, The Taking by Kimberly Derting.

The Taking was a little different of a read for me. I understand that it is a story about a girl that was abducted by aliens and returned to earth five years later. But besides that, I did not really get a sense of an actual plot.

Mostly we get a day by day account of Kyra's life and how she is coping with changes that took place while she was away. I kept waiting for something to happen, but nothing major did till act three.

But to tell you the truth, I still really liked this story. Even though the plot was not super engaging, the character development is fantastic. We really get to know Kyra and we feel everything she does. So by the time all of the excitement begins I really cared about everyone and was worried about what was happening to them.

I will definitely be reading book two.

Next up, Sleep No More by Aprilyne Pike.

Since I don't write negative reviews I do not have much to say. But I will say this. The writing itself was good, I loved the plot and I really like the characters. But the ending...it ruined the whole story for me.

It's weird, because both The Taking and Sleep No More had very abrupt endings. Where The Taking  left me wanting more, Sleep No More left me irritated. It made me feel like everything was a waste. I am assuming the ending we got was to entice us to read book two, but I did not get any satisfaction from the way it closed.




No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Artist's Faeries kit by Lorie Davison