Monday, March 5, 2012

Just Finished Reading...Unearthly

Unearthly by Cynthia Hand
published January 2011

In the beginning, there's a boy standing in the trees . . . .
Clara Gardner has recently learned that she's part angel. Having angel blood run through her veins not only makes her smarter, stronger, and faster than humans (a word, she realizes, that no longer applies to her), but it means she has a purpose, something she was put on this earth to do. Figuring out what that is, though, isn't easy.
Her visions of a raging forest fire and an alluring stranger lead her to a new school in a new town. When she meets Christian, who turns out to be the boy of her dreams (literally), everything seems to fall into place—and out of place at the same time. Because there's another guy, Tucker, who appeals to Clara's less angelic side.
As Clara tries to find her way in a world she no longer understands, she encounters unseen dangers and choices she never thought she'd have to make—between honesty and deceit, love and duty, good and evil. When the fire from her vision finally ignites, will Clara be ready to face her destiny?
Unearthly is a moving tale of love and fate, and the struggle between following the rules and following your heart.
I loved this book. I have been in a reading slump lately and Unearthly pulled be right out of it. I really took my time reading this because I wanted it all to sink in. It took me a while to get attached to the story but once I did, it grabbed hold and didn't let me go. The beginning isn't exactly slow but we get a good amount of information given to us. It was not super exciting but a necessary set up.

Unearthly takes place in modern day Wyoming and the setting is beautiful. We do not get a ton of description, but just enough to get a clear picture in your head.

The characters are well developed and easy to get attached to. Clara is a strong girl who may not be exactly happy with her calling but she understands what she has to do and embraces it. Clara knows her purpose, but matters of the heart some times get in the way and that is what really touched me.

In this story we get to meet Tucker Avery. A local cowboy that Clara goes to high school with. I'm having a hard time  talking about this because if I say exactly why I loved him it would spoil a couple of scenes. Tucker must be a very special person. It is not very often I fall in love with the human boy in the story. For once it's not a guys supernatural power that attracted me. It was his personality and his actions that won me over. The ending of the book left with a lot open but it had a satisfying conclusion.

I fully recommend this book and cannot wait to read Hallowed. This book brought out real emotions. I felt happy, worried and I actually felt my heart break at one point. I loved this book. Come back on friday because I will be doing a giveaway in it's honor.





No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Artist's Faeries kit by Lorie Davison