Sunday, May 20, 2012

Book Recommendation...Fire

Fire by Kristin Cashore

My thoughts~

Fire is a companion novel to the Graceling series. I listened to  Graceling a couple years ago. Even though I loved it I remember very little about. That being said, even though there are a few cross over characters, you would not have to read the other books to understand or enjoy Fire. The stories are in the same world, but far enough apart where they do not depend on each other.

Fire has some of the best developed characters I've read in a long time. The character growth unfolds beautifully across the pages. This is an excellent example of how a character should evolve over the course of a story.

The book started a little slow for me. By page 100 I was fully vested. From there the plot flowed at a steady pace and I was hooked. Kristin is a talented writer and really draws you into the one of a kind world she created.

This fantasy story is Young Adult, but I would say it should be read by mature or older teens as there is sexual content. It is not graphic, but there are small portions that deal with teen pregnancy, rape, and the sexual relationship between the characters is very casual. Like I said, no graphic details, but the content is there all the same.

Fantasy's are my true passion, but I have spent the better part of the last year avoiding them. The reason being is my current work in progress is a fantasy. When crafting my fantasy world I did not want to be influenced by others work. I wanted my world to be as original as possible. The best way for me to do that was not to read books in my genre. Now that my manuscript is near completion my world is set in stone. I can finally get back to my true love and the reason I started writing in the first place.

From Goodreads~

She is the last of her kind...

It is not a peaceful time in the Dells. In King City, the young King Nash is clinging to the throne, while rebel lords in the north and south build armies to unseat him. War is coming. And the mountains and forest are filled with spies and thieves. This is where Fire lives, a girl whose beauty is impossibly irresistible and who can control the minds of everyone around her.

Exquisitely romantic, this companion to the highly praised Graceling has an entirely new cast of characters, save for one person who plays a pivotal role in both books. You don’t need to have read Graceling to love Fire. But if you haven’t, you’ll be dying to read it next.


Over all I recommend this book. It is well written, well developed and an enjoyable read.

3 comments:

  1. I am actually rereading Fire now. I LOVE this book. It's crafted really well, and I only wish there were more fantasy novels in young adult literature like this. I still need to get my hands on Graceling and Bitterblue though. I keep hearing great things about both books and I wouldn't be suprised if both of them were as good as Fire.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for another great recommendation, Kriston!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love fully developed characters and fantasy! looks like a good one :)

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Artist's Faeries kit by Lorie Davison