Monday, May 28, 2012

Just Finished Reading...Insurgent

Insurgent by Veronica Roth

My 30 second review~ Sequel to Divergent, and you must read Divergent first or you will be lost.  Tris is a dynamic character. Over all this is a very good book but not as good as  book one. (Are they ever?) I recommend the read.

If you have not read Divergent go do that now! It was one my favorite reads from 2011.

From Good reads~


One choice can transform you—or it can destroy you. But every choice has consequences, and as unrest surges in the factions all around her, Tris Prior must continue trying to save those she loves—and herself—while grappling with haunting questions of grief and forgiveness, identity and loyalty, politics and love.

Tris's initiation day should have been marked by celebration and victory with her chosen faction; instead, the day ended with unspeakable horrors. War now looms as conflict between the factions and their ideologies grows. And in times of war, sides must be chosen, secrets will emerge, and choices will become even more irrevocable—and even more powerful. Transformed by her own decisions but also by haunting grief and guilt, radical new discoveries, and shifting relationships, Tris must fully embrace her Divergence, even if she does not know what she may lose by doing so.




My thoughts~ Insurgent starts exactly where Divergent ends. The story is clearly written and easy to follow, if you can remember who every one is from book one. It has a pretty extensive list of characters and after about 75 pages I stopped to re-familiarize myself with Divergent. I don't know if it was because I listened to Divergent as an audio book and failed to pick up in the little things, or if there was just to much time in between the stories for me.  After reading Divergent to refresh the details, and there are a lot of them, I started Insurgent again. 


Veronica Roth has created an original world. I love the idea of the different factions (not in real life...just saying) and what defines them. In the first half of the book we get to explore two of the faction we did not get that much of in book one. I really enjoyed the first half of this book. The characters did everything I expected them to and the pacing was steady. Then came the second half.


Now I don't want to sound like I did not enjoy this book, because I really did, but the last half of the book didn't really do it for me. The conflict between characters seemed a little forced.


At times things seemed a bit disjointed. I would like to talk about it but if I tell you what I didn't like I'm afraid I would spoil it for you. (if you have read it, and want to know what I'm talking about see below) But in the end I trusted the author and kept going. After I read the ending it all tied together for us. I just wish it would have taken a little different journey.


I have become very attached to Tris and Tobias as a team and look forward to book three. 


As someone who avoids conflict, if I had to choose a faction, I would choose Amity. I love the idea of everyone getting along and having equal say in decisions. I wish I could be Dauntless, but I would never would have made it past day one. 


**********SPOILER ALERT!  IF YOU HAVE NOT READ INSURGENT STOP HERE**********


Now I know conflict drives the plot, but I didn't buy some of it. The disagreements between Tris and Tobias seemed forced to me. Yes I understand Tris kept a secret from Tobias, and he felt she should trust him more, but to ignore her like he did didn't seem to fit his character. Despite his fears he is a strong character. That whole section made me think his character was overly sensitive and that is not what I get from him. Plus it went on for so long. I like them better as team.


I also felt there were way to many simulations. Like when Tris was held prisoner. I think we needed to know she was going through them, but to me it got old going through them with her. I can see why the author did it. Characters need to be tortured in some form or another and we got to see a different side to Peter at the end of it, but it got kind of old. 







No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Artist's Faeries kit by Lorie Davison