Sunday, January 6, 2013

For the Writers...Self Publishing Platform Comparisons

Here is your one stop comparison of the five most popular platforms to self publish your book.  I am getting close to releasing my book into the wild and needed to know what hoops I must jump through first . That brings me to a list of comparisons of the five platforms I was considering.

I needed to know the following:

  1. Do I need an ISBN?
  2. Do I need a tax id number?
  3. How do I get paid?
  4. What are the required formats to upload my story?

This information is accurate as of 1/3/2013. Provided below are links you may follow to see the current policies.

Amazon      ebook

ISBN= you may use your own ISBN provided by Bowker or Amazon will assign you one. (if Amazon provides it they are listed as publisher)
You can use a tax id number or you social security number.
They will need banking information.
Royalties= 70% if book is listed for $2.99 or greater and 35% if less.
Format= Epub, Word docs, HTML, Mobi, PDF, TXT and RTF
Exclusive to Kindle devices or anything with the free Kindle App
Extras- lendable, sample pages and egift.

Apple   ebook

ISBN=you must provide your own*
You must have a tax id number *
They will need banking information
Royalties= 70% of list price
Format=Epub
Exclusive to Ibooks
Extras=none (you may be able down a small portion of book, I could not find that listed, but I just downloaded a sample to test it)

*There are ways around this. See Smashwords below

Barnes & Noble NooK (PubIt) ebook

ISBN=you may use your own ISBN provided by Bowker or PubIt will assign you one for free.
You can use a tax id number or your social security number
They will need banking information
Royalties= 65% if book is listed for $2.99 or greater and 40% if less.
Format=Epub, Word docs, HTML, TXT
Exclusive to Nook devices or anything with the free Nook App
Extras=Read in store (a person can take their Nook to a Barnes & Noble store and read any ebook free for and hour a day), lendable, sample pages and egift

Createspace    trade paperback

ISBN= you may use your own ISBN provided by Bowker or Creatspace will assign you one. If you use a Creatspace ISBN you have two options: free, where they will list Createspace as the publisher or for $10.00 you can choose your imprint.

You can use a tax id number or your social security number
They will need banking information
Royalties=vary depending on what price you set
Format=PDF
Extras=Createspace enables you to get your book into book stores, online retailers and libraries.

Smashwords  ebook
ISBN=you may use your own ISBN provided by Bowker or Smashwords will assign you one for free.
You can use a tax id number or your social security number
They will need banking information
Royalties=60% of list price on major web sites of 85% of net if purchased from Smashwords
Format=Epub, Word docs. Smashwords prefers Word docs. If you use Epub, readers cannot get a sample. If you want them publish on Apple for you it must me a Word doc.
Extras=Smashwords is DRM free.(digital rights management) That means you can buy the book and download it onto to any device.

Smashwords will put your books on Apple Ibook*, Nook, Sony reader, Kobo, Diesel, Baker & Taylor, Axis 360 and Kindle.

They can get you into libraries that offer ebooks
They offer a free coupon generator 

*remember how Apple requires you to have your own ISBN and tax id? Well you can by pass that by using Smashwords.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What are you going to do Kriston?
Oh why thank you for asking. I am going to publish on Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Createspace and Smashwords. 

Why don't you just Smashwords. They seem to put your ebook on every platform on the market?
For a couple reason. The majority of readers are going to come from Amazon. If you let them put it on Amazon for you, you only get 60% of list instead of 70%. Plus, not everyone knows of Smashwords. In fact, outside of my blogging friends, no one in my life has even heard of it. So they don't know to shop from there. I wasn't going to go with Smashwords at all, but I decided I did not have anything to loose if I did. They also can get me into Ibooks without having to get an ISBN number, and that my friends saves  $100-$250. Plus, I don't want all my eggs in one basket.

There you have it folks. I will try and keep this page updated as the industry changes. If you find any of this outdated, leave me a comment with the new information. Thank you and happy publishing.



















3 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for this post! What a lifesaver! I'm currently writing my first novel and plan to write more in the future - and I'm already trying to research self-publishing options in case I go down that route. I really like your blog, followed you on GFC :) Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you found this useful. Information is so spread out and I thought it would be nice to have it all in one place. Good luck with your novel!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the great information, Kriston!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Artist's Faeries kit by Lorie Davison