Monday, February 6, 2012

Book Recommendation....Clockwork Prince

Clockwork Prince by Cassandra Clare

published Dec 6th, 2011

In efforts to keep this recommendation from becoming a short novel itself, click on the link above for full summary from Goodreads. The post is spoiler free but I encourage spoilery (is that a real word?) comments because I am dying to talk about it.

ALL HAIL CASSANDRA CLARE

From a readers point of view.
Clockwork Prince is in my opinion a masterpiece. The opening scene sets a semi dark tone that rings true through the entire book. Directly after that we jump right into to the character's troubles and into the base of the plot. Cassandra wastes no time getting to the point of the story yet is not rushed. The pacing is perfect.

The rich descriptions and imagery make me feel as if I have actually been to old time England. I feel as if I have walked along the Themes, breathing in the soot and grit.

This is a very character driven story. The plot elements are weaved seamlessly throughout the character's journey just enough to keep it in our thoughts. But in this story the characters and their personalties really shine. They are so well written that when situations presented themselves I could predict the way they were going to react, but not in a bad way. I just felt like I knew they characters so well, I knew what they would do. Like the way you can tell what a friend would do.

Basically it all boils down to this, I feel like I was there, I feel like I know these character's personally and my heart breaks for them. I laughed out loud, I was scared, happy and sentimental. At one point near the end I set the book down, covered my face and yelled NOOOO.


First from a writers point of view.
At this time I can honestly say Cassandra Clare has inspired me more than any other writer. Lets jump back to 2009 when I read The City of Bones, her debut. It sparked the Shadowhunter revolution. Slews of fans sport rune inspired tattoo's, stand in line at signings with mango's and argue their points defending their book boyfriend's and what makes them so swoon worthy. The writing itself was very good but nothing that really made her stand out above the other author's I was reading at that time. But of course I fell in love with Jace and had to know how his story ended.

Cassandra's writing has grown immensely over the years and the course of her series. Clockwork Prince was beautifully crafted. Seeing how her writing has has improved over the years reminds me that a writers craft, with time and dedication, is ever evolving into works that get better and better with each written word. I will think of that every time I sit down to write.

I could go on and on about the character development but instead I am going to suggest you read this book. This is book two, so if you have not read Clockwork Angel start there. Then come back and tell me what you think.

I am dying to talk about this book with someone so if you have read it please tell me what you thought. What was your favorite part? Are you team Jem or Will? Or do you think Tessa should leave the silly boy's to themselves. Personally I am team Will.

1 comment:

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Artist's Faeries kit by Lorie Davison