Monday, February 27, 2012

Book Review....The Maze Runner

The Maze Runner (Maze Runner #1)
by James Dashner

From Goodreads
When Thomas wakes up in the lift, the only thing he can remember is his first name. His memory is blank. But he’s not alone. When the lift’s doors open, Thomas finds himself surrounded by kids who welcome him to the Glade—a large, open expanse surrounded by stone walls.

Just like Thomas, the Gladers don’t know why or how they got to the Glade. All they know is that every morning the stone doors to the maze that surrounds them have opened. Every night they’ve closed tight. And every 30 days a new boy has been delivered in the lift.

Thomas was expected. But the next day, a girl is sent up—the first girl to ever arrive in the Glade. And more surprising yet is the message she delivers. 

Thomas might be more important than he could ever guess. If only he could unlock the dark secrets buried within his mind.


My thoughts~


James Dashner created a unique world for us to emerge ourselves into and that is not an easy task these days. With a new dystopian released every week a person would think all the societies would start to sound the same but The Maze Runner, so far, has been different. Disclaimer: this book only covers a small portion of a bigger society which may not be so different. I have not read beyond book one at this point. From page one we are given detailed descriptions and the world building is great. I got a very clear picture of every character, the setting and everything in it. 


The story did get off to a slow start for me and it took me a while to really get connected to this book. Once I was fully vested (which was around page 140) I could not read it fast enough. There is a lot of suspense in this book. We do not get to learn anything that Thomas, the protagonist, doesn't know. At times it did get old not knowing what was going on but I think that is only because I am impatient and this book has a ton of suspense. When  all was revealed it was a huge relief. 


As far as recommending the read...I'd say read it. I didn't fall in love with the story or the characters but I did really like it. It has good entertainment value, a well thought out plot, rich descriptions and unique characters. 



6 comments:

  1. I agree, it did start out slow and it took me awhile to get into it. It actually took e two times to read it, but once I got into it, I was hooked! You should now read the rest of the series!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Shirley, I was wondering how the rest of the series was. I am really curious about Ky's journy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard a lot about the series. I may read the first one just to see what it is all about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read this first one and liked it and I read the second one and it totally stressed me out! This is one of the most intense series I've EVER read (at least the second book was) and I'm not sure if I'll read the third but I am dying to find out what happens so I probably will. It's one series I have to take breaks from though. It's just too crazy for me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review. I actually just read The Maze Runner too and felt the same way as you. The story was slow and I was annoyed that it took so long to find out what was going on. But in the end, I am glad I read it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Maze Runner by James Dashner is an amazing book. Thomas wakes up in a metal box. He has no idea where he is, why he is there, and he can't remember a thing from his past life. Not even his age. Thomas steps out of the box and into "the Glade", a place full of all boys who have set up their own community, and all have assigned jobs. Thomas quickly adjusts to his surroundings. He feels a calling to be a "runner" or someone who tries to map out as much of the maze they are trapped in before the gates close each night and the deadly "Grievers" come out. But when a strange girl, the only girl, shows up in the Glade carrying a message that speak of "the end", Thomas must look past not knowing anything about himself to help the girl Teresa and save his new friends before it it too late. Full of surprising twists, unpredictable predicaments,and such great character description that you feel like you are, in fact, Thomas The Maze runner is an amazing book for any genre interest at most reading levels.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Artist's Faeries kit by Lorie Davison