Saturday, March 19, 2011

Where have the book reviews gone?

You may have noticed that I have not written a book review for the last couple of books I posted on my reading list. There is a very good reason for that. When I was reading as a critic, I wasn't enjoying reading any more. (sticks bottom lip out to pout)

I realize there were three different ways I would approach a book.

- as reader...I jumped right in, let myself slip into whatever world the author created and enjoyed the ride.  Magic, paranormal, fantasy, and the things dreams are made of was what gave me the drive to be a writer.

- as a writer...I approach a book like home work. I study pacing, scene structure and so on. Not as fun as being a reader but I learn things.

- as a reviewer...I approached the book with a magnifying class. I was like a lion on the prowl searching for prey. I felt I owed it to my readers to give a complete and honest review. Even if it meant saying something bad. (which I hated by the way) I became critical and judgmental.

So then what happened? I zapped the fun out of reading. My life line left me dangling in the balance. (grabs tissue, dabs tears) What have I done?

As with every new endeavor, I learn from my actions. (some people call them mistakes...fine whatever) I have decided  I am not going to write a review for every book I read. I still have plenty of opinions I feel the people of the world can't live without knowing, so I am compiling a list of my favorites and my next post will be more like  recommendations, with less opinion. When I learn how to be a little more objective I will reinstate my reviews. For now I read as a reader and enjoy.

Stay tuned.....

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Artist's Faeries kit by Lorie Davison